Here at The Kitchen Fort Collins we love to feature pickled items in any dish we can! A quick pickle is fast, delicious, and can be done with 3 simple ingredients plus your choice of any seasonal produce!
Want to know our easy trick behind pickling eggplant or cucumbers? Because those vegetables can have a bitter taste, cover them in salt and ice cubes (for about one hour) to get rid of the bitterness and add extra flavor once they are ready for the quick-pickling process!
Here’s a quick pickle recipe from Savory Spice Shop!
- 1 English cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeded and sliced into thin half moons
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. (packed) Korean chile threads
- 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 2 scallions, white and green parts sliced
- 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced into thin rounds
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce (or tamari)
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
In a colander, toss cucumbers with sugar and salt; set over a plate (to catch draining liquid) and let stand for 10 min. Toast chile threads in a skillet over medium heat for 1 to 2 min. then transfer to a shallow bowl. Add remaining kimchi ingredients and fold in drained cucumbers. Let stand for at least 15 min., tossing once or twice.
Come stop by the restaurant and try any of our seasonal pickled items; whether it may be in your Bloody Mary during our weekend brunch or a topping on our Cheese Plate at dinner, we have you covered!